Roanoke County, Virginia is seeking qualified applicants for an open position: Civil Engineer I – Entry Level, Job #201001221.
Performs intermediate professional engineering review, and design by applying appropriate policies, procedures, guidelines, customer service principles and values to ensure the County’s Land Use objectives are attained; Reviews land development plans for compliance with Erosion and Sediment Control and Stormwater Management regulations Coordinates and conducts land development programs utilizing responsible engineering activities and professional engineering expertise; Work is performed under the general supervision of the Principal Development Engineer. Supervises any assigned technical and clerical personnel. Performs other duties as assigned.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
• Reviews erosion and sediment control plans, stormwater management plans, highway plans, floodplain construction, drainage and other engineering design work.
• Reviews site plans for new developments.
• Reviews subdivision requests with regard to engineering aspects including topography, drainage, utilities, sediment, erosion, and stormwater.
• Engages in engineering research and assists in preparation of contract documents and related materials
• Prepares cost estimates on engineering projects.
• Assists in maintaining liaison with outside governmental agencies in regard to scheduling of surveying for public works projects and makes oral and written reports.
• Inspects floodplain development and major land alteration projects during construction to assure compliance with applicable regulations and specifications.
• Receives and responds to citizen complaints regarding illicit discharges and the drainage systems, including investigation, reporting and enforcement actions; prepares necessary documentation of activities.
• Participates in the preparation of specifications, maps, and plans of County construction development projects.
• Interfaces with other Community Development sections and other County departments to fulfill the customer service mandate for land use development.
• Maintains effective working relationships with citizens, engineers, developers, contractors, officials and other stakeholders involved in land use activities.
• Assists in preparing and updating land development regulations.
• Works with design professionals/developers to ensure projects are designed and constructed in accordance with regulations.
• Provides contractors and the general public with technical information related to engineering projects.
Required: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in civil, environmental engineering or related field.
Engineering, land development, and/or construction experience are favorable but not required. This is entry level position.
Certifications/ Licenses Required:
• An Engineer-in-Training (EIT) certificate
• Valid Virginia driver’s license with good driving record
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of civil engineering as related to the preparation of plans and specifications for a wide variety engineering projects.
• Knowledge of Department of Environmental Quality ESC and VSMP regulations.
• Knowledge of land and engineering survey systems, methods and techniques; construction materials; and approved standards of safety as related to structural design and specifications.
• Skill in the use of Microsoft office programs, and other engineering software.
• Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals.
• Ability to speak effectively before groups of citizens, land development professionals or county employees
• Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
• Ability to work well within a team structure, to take and follow directions, to take ownership of tasks and to take initiative in their satisfactory completion, and to give instructions to others when appropriate.
• Subject to a complete criminal history background search with acceptable results. Following a conditional offer of employment, must pass a post offer physical examination. May be subject to DMV driving record review as required by amount of work related driving, specified by support responsibilities. Must also be able to perform the job as described in the Physical and Environmental Demands section of this job description.
• Must Obtain DEQ certification as an Erosion and Sediment Control plan reviewer and Stormwater Management plan reviewer within 18 months of employment.
• May supervise assigned support staff
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT:
SALARY: $45,741.00 – $59,144.00 Annually
CLOSING DATE: 07/23/17 11:59 PM
OUR OFFICE IS LOCATED AT:
5204 Bernard Drive
Roanoke, VA 24018
Roanoke County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.