Director of Environmental Engineering
Chesterfield County, Virginia (Richmond-Metro Area), a recognized leader and award winning local government, is seeking an experienced, knowledgeable, and professional leader to deliver and promote environmental protection and sustainability efforts for Chesterfield County. The Director will have oversight for all operations and activities of the Department of Environmental Engineering.
Chesterfield, a suburban county of 446 square miles, is centrally located in the Commonwealth with a population of approximately 316,000 residents. Chesterfield is the corporate location for many small businesses as well as large international companies and has a national reputation as one of the most affluent and most educated localities in the country. Chesterfield is proud to be the recipient of the prestigious U.S. Senate Productivity and Quality Award gold medallion, the Award for Continuing Excellence (ACE) and holds AAA bond ratings from all three rating agencies, one of only 25 counties nationwide.
Under the general direction of the Deputy County Administrator for Community Development, the Director of Environmental Engineering has the following responsibilities:
• plans, directs, manages, and oversees the activities and operations of the six divisions of the Environmental Engineering department, including, Environmental Administration, Drainage Maintenance Operations, Field Inspections, Plans Review, Street Signs, and Water Quality
• evaluates and implements environmental strategies and best practices for program operations
• ensures county’s compliance with local, state, and federal environmental laws, ordinances and regulations
• monitors and implements actions relating to environmental trends, issues, and legislative changes resulting in changes to county guidelines, policies or procedures
• manages environmental assessments and compliance audits to minimize environmental risks and identify areas for improvement in environmental performance
• works closely with county officials; local, state, and federal agencies; law enforcement; developers; local businesses and citizens on complaints, incidents, and violations of environmental ordinances and regulations
• works closely with regulatory agencies such as the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality and Department of Conservation and Recreation on storm water issues and with other local, state, or regional regulatory agencies
• represents the county on local, state, and regional boards and committee and actively serves as an advocate for local and state legislation on environmental issues
• establishes strategic initiatives and budget/fiscal management priorities for the department
Successful candidates should possess the following qualifications:
• working knowledge and strong technical expertise in environmental engineering issues pertaining to local government
• solid understanding of local, state, and federal environmental laws, ordinances, and regulations
• ability to make good judgments and sound decisions on environmental issues
• excellent interpersonal skills with solid oral and written communication abilities
• ability to develop and sustain effective working relationships with internal and external customers.
Candidates must possess a bachelor’s degree in civil or environmental engineering, environmental sciences, or a related field (master’s degree preferred) and a minimum of 10 years progressively responsible experience in environmental engineering, including a minimum of five years in a supervisory/leadership capacity, or an equivalent combination of training and experience. A valid professional engineer license (PE) in the Commonwealth of Virginia is required.
A pre-employment drug test and an extensive background investigation including fingerprinting for an FBI criminal check are required.
This recruitment will remain open until August 31, 2012 at 5 p.m. Interested applicants should submit a confidential resume with cover letter and salary requirements to:
Mary Martin Selby, Director of HR Services
Chesterfield County Human Resource Management
P.O. Box 40
Chesterfield, VA 23832
An Equal Opportunity Employer Committed to Workforce Diversity