The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) is seeking a dynamic team leader to manage the Location & Design Section and associated activities for the Richmond District, position #06473, to accomplish its mission in the areas of survey, plan design, public relations, construction and maintenance related to the District’s highway network. Located in Colonial Heights, Virginia, the successful candidate will administer the District Location & Design Program in production of right of way and construction roadway plans; proactively manage human and fiscal resources by identifying future needs and taking appropriate actions; and organize program area assignments to best utilize district resources. Plan production schedules and budgets; ensure quality control reviews are completed; and provide guidance and leadership to design consultants. Provide assistance and support to Project Managers during the project development process. You will maintain exceptional public relations with citizens, city/county officials and other agencies; conduct public meetings and serve on various external committees; and exemplify VDOT’s values on location and design matters.
Salary Range: $84,260 – $119,455
Why Choose VDOT
In addition to a rewarding work experience, VDOT offers core benefits including competitive health and life insurance programs, pre-tax spending accounts, and leave programs. Employees participate in a state retirement plan with options for tax-deferred retirement savings including employer matching.
Also, the State funds a Short and Long Term Disability Program. Miscellaneous benefits include paid holidays, training and tuition assistance programs, wellness programs, etc.
The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) is an Equal Opportunity Employer by both policy and practice. Applicants are considered for all positions without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or against otherwise qualified persons with disabilities. It is the intent of VDOT’s employment and personnel practices to conform to all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations regarding non-discrimination. View details & knowledge, skills & abilities for applicant evaluation at local VEC or www.vdot.jobs. TDD 1-800-828-1120.
Desired Skills and Experience
· Demonstrated knowledge of roadway design/safety, construction methods, standards, specifications and materials; considerable knowledge of civil engineering principles/practices; and federal and state laws/policies/procedures.
· Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing with diverse groups; provide exceptional public relations through complaint resolution; to recognize employee developmental needs and implement plans to enhance employee performance; and to administer and supervise employees engaged in a complex surveying and design program.
· Position also requires high-level skill in building networks and relationships with managers from other divisions/agencies; in leading, coaching, counseling and managing program area; in demonstrating active support of strategic outcomes/ initiatives.
· Extensive experience in managing multiple work groups as well as in the technical areas of highway design and structural engineering.
· Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering or a related field, and progressively responsible experience in highway design management. Professional Engineer’s License and valid driver’s license required.
· Extensive experience in managing highway/civil engineering design projects.
· Fingerprint based background check, references, work history and DMV records will be verified prior to employment.
· Position is designated as essential to emergency operations and will be required to work outside normal work hours to ensure the safety of the traveling public.
· Statement of Economic Interest (SOEI) required
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Applications will only be accepted online by 5 PM on 1/27/14. Applications submitted via email, postal mail or fax will not be considered. Resumes may be attached but may not substitute for a state application. Applicants needing accommodation to apply for openings through the interview process should contact the local human resources office contact person listed in the job advertisement. If this position is no longer available, visit www.vdot.jobs for additional opportunities.