The Goochland County Public Utilities Department is accepting applications for a Utility Superintendent to inspect and oversee the maintenance and construction of the County’s water and wastewater systems as well as the field/inspection staff.
• Manages the day-to-day operations of the public utilities inspection, operation, and field staff. This shall include, but not be limited to, daily scheduling, on-call scheduling, being a part of the on-call rotation, and performing all necessary operations and maintenance to the County’s water distribution and wastewater collection systems;
• Manages the department’s safety program;
• Provides construction inspection support to the Assistant Director;
• Inspects and oversees the maintenance, repairs, and improvements of the water and sewer infrastructure;
• Confers with foremen and lead workers regarding field problems;
• Performs Miss Utility (VA811) locates and manages subordinates’ locate tickets to ensure timely completion of all tickets.
• Reviews subordinates time sheets;
• Assists subordinates with monitoring SCADA and gauges, reading meters, maintaining control panels, and observes variations in operating conditions to determine process requirements and adjustments;
• Operates valves and gates, starting and stopping pump station equipment;
• Maintains records of readings at County pumping stations;
• Checks all items associated with pump stations, booster stations, and tanks and provides any maintenance attention required.
• Other items could include:
+ Schedules maintenance as needed.
+ Installs and replaces water meters.
+ Manages the repair of failed or failing infrastructure and equipment.
+ Arranges for delivery of materials, supplies, and equipment.
+ Performs work in confined spaces.
+ Applies knowledge of treatment practices to solve practical problems.
+ Locates sources of trouble and diagnoses trouble conditions.
+ Inspects plant process equipment and collects samples.
+ Mixes chemicals for processing.
+ Sets chemical feeds to provide proper chemical level.
+ Acts as a lead worker, training other operators in plant operation procedures.
+ Maintains and keeps accurate records and prepares reports.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Considerable knowledge of water or wastewater utility operation and maintenance. Extensive knowledge of federal and state regulations. Excellent written and oral communications skills. Good knowledge of math and science. Proficient understanding and use of Microsoft Office products, including Outlook, Word, and Excel. Ability to take water samples. Ability to accurately read meters and gauges. Ability to keep accurate records. Ability to carry out complex oral and written procedures. Ability to work independently. Must be able to lift, stoop, climb stairs and ladders, and work under adverse weather conditions. Will be exposed to water and wastewater treatment operations which could include chemicals.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING:
High School Diploma. 10 years of work experience in the utility operation and maintenance disciplines, including supervision, or any equivalent combination of education and experience. Valid Driver’s License. State Class 4 Waterworks License required or the ability to obtain this license within 3 months of employment.
The hiring range is $52,000-$56,000. The deadline to apply is 5/31/17. An online Goochland County Employment Application must be completed for consideration and may be found at www.goochlandva.us/231/Employment-Opportunities. Background check and pre-employment drug screen required.
Goochland County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.