Gloucester County, Virginia is now accepting applications for a Utility Supervisor position.
Performs supervisory and administrative work coordinating and supervising operations, maintenance, and construction inspection duties for the water distribution and wastewater collection systems for the County Utilities Department. Employee must exercise initiative and independent judgment in completing assigned tasks. Employee must also exercise tact, courtesy, and firmness communication with customers, contractors, and the general public. Reports to the Assistant Director of Utilities.
Examples of Duties:
1. Oversees and inspects the daily activities of the department’s Utility Workers, and Pump Station Maintenance Technicians; establishes operating policies and procedures; oversees and participates in maintenance and repair of various pumps, lines, and fixtures in the County water distribution, and sewage collection system; estimates required materials and equipment needed to complete projects; ensures adherence to applicable safety regulations. Manages personnel directly or through subordinates; hires and trains employees; assigns and monitors work; evaluates personnel; counsels employees as necessary.
2. Oversees all preventive maintenance programs for the water distribution and wastewater collection facilities and structures; approves repair and maintenance schedules. Schedules, inspects, and performs preventive maintenance on equipment; replaces defective equipment and fixtures.
3. Responds to complaints and inquiries from customers, County employees, professionals, etc.; responds to after-hours calls when needed.
4. Solicits competitive bids from commercial contractors, as needed; monitors and manages the work of contractors.
5. Manages line location program.
6. Assists Assistant Director of Utilities with site plan review; oversees construction inspection and acceptance of new construction; performs GIS mapping updates.
7. Assists in managing and monitoring the department budget; purchases supplies and equipment.
8. Administers the County’s Cross Connection Control Program; conducts inspections of businesses for cross connection and backflow prevention devices, ensures timely testing of such devices.
9. Administers the County’s Fats Oils and Grease (FOG) Program.
10. Maintains a variety of records and prepares reports.
11. Performs other duties as assigned.
• Possession of an Associate’s Degree in Management, Engineering, Construction or related field.
• Seven (7) to ten (10) years of directly related and progressively responsible supervisory and management experience.
• Possession of Class IV Waterworks Operator certification from the Commonwealth of Virginia Board of Waterworks and Wastewater Works Operators and Onsite Sewage System Professionals preferred.
• Any equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the required skills, knowledge and abilities.
• Possession of a valid driver’s license; possess and maintain a driving record that meets established Gloucester County Driving Standards.
• Pass a post-offer, pre-employment physical examination. Employee may be subject to subsequent physical examinations to ensure he/she meets job-related physical requirements.
To be considered for this position, your online application must include your cover letter, resume and professional references. A minimum of 3 professional references MUST be listed on the application. (Note: Professional references are individuals who can attest to your job-related knowledge, skills and abilities while working or in a volunteer capacity AND are not family or personally related. Professional references should include job title, company name and address, phone numbers and email address if available.)
This position is open until filled; application review will begin in 2 weeks. Salary range for the position is $61,016 +/- DOQ. Interested applicants are encouraged to apply!
EMPLOYEE UTILIZATION IN ADVERSE WEATHER AND EMERGENCY CONDITIONS
All Gloucester County employees are subject to being assigned to specific positions and tasks during a “Declared Emergency” as support personnel, by the County Administrator, the Emergency Management Director, or the Emergency Operations Plan (EOP). Once assigned, this would be the same as a regular work assignment and all policies and procedures for duty assignments apply. (Please see Gloucester County Administrative Policy 101.1 – Employee Utilization in Adverse Weather and Emergency Conditions.)
For a complete job description and to apply online, visit our website at: www.gloucesterva.jobs. Gloucester County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.