The City of Harrisonburg’s Public Works Department invites applications for the the position of Transportation Systems Specialist, Job #5339.
Full-time position, with benefits. Preferred hiring salary: $48,859 – $56,180. Performs detailed traffic studies and analyzes collected data to identify and forecast traffic flow, identify safety problems and opportunities for improvement; leads the transportation management program, developing and executing transportation plans. Prepares and maintains records and reports; assists with preparation and presentations for City Council, neighborhood groups, and citizen committees.
The Transportation Systems Specialist position also includes the following responsibilities:
• Maintains and/or supervises the management network of traffic signals, communications equipment and related software;
• Administers traffic signal timing, coordination and time-of-day plan development;
• Assists in the development, implementation and maintenance of the Event Plans and Incident Management Plan; coordinates with stakeholders and communicates with the Harrisonburg/Rockingham County Emergency Communications Center regarding traffic incidents;
• Evaluates traffic control signage and pavement marking design and makes recommendations for improvements or adjustments to improve traffic safety and efficiency;
• Performs Traffic Impact Analysis (TIA) or reviews studies prepared by developments to determine need for traffic control devices and infrastructure improvements;
• Serves as department GIS editor by editing and/or creating data and developing maps to maintain geographic data for the Public Works Department;
• Assists with filing grant requests for transportation projects and programs;
• Assists with administration of the Neighborhood Traffic Calming program; and
• Assists in the response to citizen inquiries and complaints effectively, courteously, and tactfully; refers unresolved issues to appropriate supervisor.
The ideal candidate should have knowledge of policies, principles, analytical tools and concepts of transportation analysis and planning including knowledge of pedestrian and bicycle planning and safety. Basic knowledge of planning and activities related to transportation planning, Federal Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) standards and the application of the standards; computer/traffic-related elements (ranging from data collection methodologies to implementation of isolated traffic signal timing); methods, materials, equipment and techniques used in the electrical trade and traffic control field and GIS mapping data creation and editing.
Any combination of education or experience equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with coursework in Engineering, Transportation and/or Traffic Management, or GIS. Some experience in GIS, traffic signal installation, traffic control systems, maintenance and repair of traffic signals, preferred. Experience utilizing Traficon video detection, Trafficware Synchro Studio, Econolite traffic controllers and/or map creation or similar software, preferred. Valid driver’s license, required.
• Possession of a VDOT Flagger Certified or ability to obtain within one week of hire;
• Possession of a VDOT Basic Work Zone Safety Certification or ability to obtain one within six months of hire; and
• Possession of Level II IMSA Field Signal Certification or ability to obtain within 18 months of hire.
Successful applicants for this position must satisfactorily complete a DMV record check, drug screen and criminal background check.
Application deadline: Applications will be accepted until a suitable pool of candidates is received. This position may close at any time after 10 calendar days. (posted 03/19/2016). Applications may be filed online at: http://www.harrisonburgva.gov/employment.
The City of Harrisonburg is an Equal Opportunity Employer and provides an excellent benefits package including health insurance, retirement, life insurance, paid leave and holidays.